כּנור דוד

Kinnor David - "a most attractive blog".

Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Jesus the Jew



Airforcewife said this:


One of my biggest life revelations was understanding that Jesus was JEW- and he lived as one, spoke as one, and acted as one.


This very much remids me of Andrew Sullivan's comment that Jesus' wearing of a loincloth on the Cross (at least in Christian art) had a lot to do with two millenia of Christian hatred of the Jews.

UPDATE: One of the points that I was going to make before my computer crashed, was that this Altar piece by German Romantic artist Caspar David Friedrich was criticised for its apparrent glorification of the natural world over Jesus sacrifice. That said, I can't help but be inspired by it; just as I like Wagner's Operas, while despising the man as an anti-semite.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The best person to read on the Jewishness of Jesus is Geza Vermes.

Here are some other interesting writers on the subject:

http://www.jcrelations.net/en/?id=738

5:04 AM  
Blogger airforcewife said...

It really does change your perspective when you have that "A-HA! Jesus was a Jew! moment."

At least it did for me. It just changes the way you view so many of the things that Jesus himself says and does. It also created a big urge to know more about my roots in Judaism.

11:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home